Walking School Bus
Purpose: The Walking School Bus Program is designed to get communities to work together to get children to school actively and safely. Children who participate in the program walk to school on Friday mornings for 6 weeks in groups led by adult volunteers.
When: Children will walk on the following Fridays- April 8, 15, 22, 29 and May 6, 13 between 6:45 and 7:45 AM. There will be a program celebration on Wednesday, May 25, 2011.
Program Objectives: Goals include the following:
- Increase daily physical activity for children and adults in the neighborhood
- Increase safety for pedestrians in the neighborhood
- Reduce traffic in and around the neighborhood and school
- Decrease crime when more people are outside keeping an eye on their neighborhood
- Increase community cohesion by helping neighbors get to know one another
Potential Risks: The program is intended to reduce the risk of injury to children as they travel to school through the use of adult supervision. However, there are risks associated with child pedestrians. These specific risks include injury as a result of motor vehicle crashes, a fall, overexertion, or carelessness
Walking School Bus "Drivers and Cabooses" Needed!!!! If you are interested in making a difference and adding some physical activity to your day as well, contact the school's main office for more details at (817) 377-7270.
For more information OR to fill out/drop off a consent form, please visit the ML Phillips main office.
>> Watch last year's video from South Hi Mount Elementary to learn more!