Oakhurst Elementary School
The school was built in 1927 to serve the Oakhurst section of the Riverside area of Fort Worth. Wiley G. Clarkson was the architect and A. H. Smith was the contractor for the original structure that consisted of a four-classroom building (what is now the north-east wing of the school; pictured below).
With the rapid growth of the surrounding neighborhood, the school was enlarged in 1935 as part of the Public Works Administration (PWA) building program. J.B. Davis was the architect and Quisle & Andrews was the contractor for the addition. This addition was 2-stories and was compatible with the original building.
In 1953, Wiley G. Clarkson designed an addition that included an auditorium and two classrooms.
Also, the school received a 2-level, 8 classroom addition and other interior modifications under Phase 2 of the 1999 Bond program.
Oakhurst currently has an enrollment of around 680 students and is growing. It serves grades PK-5th as well as special education students.
Oakhurst is the home of the fighting Eagles and also of a very rare Japanese Garden (pictured below).