Luella Merrett Elementary is located in west Fort Worth, south of the Benbrook traffic circle between highways 183 and 377. It was started in 1949 to educate the families of the Bomber Heights neighborhood who were employed by Carswell Air Force Base and Convair/General Dynamics. The permanent structure was built by Fort Worth ISD in 1954 and was named Ridglea West Elementary. In 1976 the school was renamed in honor of its longtime principal Miss Luella Merrett.
In 1999 a new wing was added to the east. Early childhood classrooms are located on the first floor of this wing. A new cafeteria was also added at this time.
The current principal, Melissa Bryan, came to the school in the fall 2006.