Kirkpatrick Elementary was first maintained by Tarrant County. Later, a two-room building was erected on Refugio. Mrs. Emma Clayton and Mrs. H. F. Randle were elected teachers and taught there for several years. The city limit was extended and as a result, the Rosen Heights Colored School had its beginning in 1910 in Shiloh Baptist Church with Miss Mamie Poore as principal. She was followed by Mrs. L. B. Horace and Mrs. Lean Upshaw. In 1912 lots on Lee Avenue were purchased and another two-room building was erected and more teachers were hired. The community continued to grow and a larger, better equipped school was needed. A four room building was built on Clinton Avenue; once again, more teachers were hired. In 1921 the four room building burned down. Later an eight room building was erected and more teachers were hired. Mr. Jordon was principal at that time. He was later replaced by Mr. H. T. Wise, who remained principal for eight years. Mr. Wise was succeeded by Mr. Tidewell, then by Mr. Kay W. McMillan, Jr. The school continued to increase in pupils and teachers. After six years of service, Mr. McMillan was transferred to James E. Guinn School. Mr. C. O. Wallis was elected principal. He was followed by Mrs. Ruby L. Miller. She served as principal for the Cinton Avenue School and the Kirkpatrick Junior-Senior High School for eleven years. As economic status, continuous growth, and progress in the community made it evident that better accommodations were necessary for the junior-senior high school. The Board of Education purchased another site for the school. In 1950 a new modern building was built at 3210 Refugio, and the school transferred from Clinton Avenue to the new location. The new school was named Milton L. Kirkpatrick School in honor of the late Professor Milton L. Kirkpatrick. During the fall term of 1958-59, a modern building was erected for the elementary school, and the school was transferred from 3201 Refugio to its present building on Lincoln Ave.