Greenbriar Elementary opened its classrooms on September 6, 1955. They moved into the new building on January 10, 1958. Charles Harter was the first principal.
Under the current leadership of Mrs. Amelia Harden-Wilson, Greenbriar has 30 classrooms, including a Science Lab, Computer Lab, Library, and Outdoor Living Classroom. The school offers the following programs: Gifted and Talented, Dual Language, Mixed Language, ESL, PPCD, LINC, Pre-K-5th Grade classes, Clayton/Fort Worth After School Program, tutorials, and many other exciting educational opportunites for our students.
Greenbriar Elementary School was designed by Wilson, Patterson, Sowden, Dunlap and Epperly and erected by Holden and Otis, contractors. This one story school was constructed of red polychrome brick and consists of two parallel wings with a center connector. Like its 1950s counterparts, its design is influenced by the International style, although it has a very low pitched gable roof instead of a flat roof. However, it does have overhangs in some places. The classrooms have large expanses of windows that have been partially infilled with panels. The auditorium wing, located on the front (north) elevation, retains the original window openings. Decorative detail is provided by the use of green aggregate panels above and below the auditorium windows and below the classroom windows. Under Phase 1A of the 1999 Bond Program, the school received a new library, expanded cafeteria and kitchen, and six new classrooms. This addition connects the building to an activity building. Upon the attainment of 50 years of age and further assessment of its integrity, the school may be potentially eligible for the National Register for its association with the history of education in Fort Worth.